Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hello from Geneva! - 8/27

Well, we've arrived safely! We're sitting in a cafe in the airport, waiting for our rental car to be ready for... unfortunately, thinking for sure customs would take us a while, I reserved the car for noon. So it turns out that I have a little time (over an hour) to jot down my thoughts... my first thought is that French airport coffee is not as good as Italian airport coffee.We're both dying to get out there, driving around the countryside. We have a few amazing pictures from the air of how green it is, dotted with little houses... actually they looked quite large. I suspect you have to have a lot of money to live in Geneva, or anywhere else in Switzerland for that matter.
Frankly, I'm a bit blogged out, having written a ton on the first leg to JFK, only to have it be lost forever in space (or wherever it went - user error, I'm sure, but don't know how I erased a whole blog post.) Most of it was incredibly witty and informative but it seems the 8 hour flight into Geneva wiped all that out of me...
So our next adventure begins with the car... about a week ago, Bryan and I bought a huge atlas of France and  he had his nose buried in it for the few days prior to our departure, mapping out the routes to each of our destinations. And I, having no experience with maps at all, have been trying to learn as quickly as possible, so I can be the navigator. I think I have a pretty good idea of which way to go, and it was nice to see the city from the air in order to get my bearings. Leaving the airport is important because if we don't follow the route to go straight into France, the road will lead us into Switzerland and one of the reasons our rental car is so cheap is because we didn't pay the extra 40 euros to be allowed to drive on Swiss roads. I can think of better ways to spend 40 euros. After we make it into France, however, we're good to go.
Our first stop is Annecy, on our way to our first Club Med, Valmorel.
We are hoping to find some street food, which we've heard is the way to go to save money, and that it's just as good as any restaurant. So we may sit by Lake Annecy and have a little snack before winding our way into the Alps toward Valmorel. The weather forecast is for a bit of rain while we're there, and we hope that doesn't mess up our hiking plans. But a little rain never hurt anyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment